The office oversees revitalization and economic development projects, community planning and zoning, mapping and Geographic Information Services, and economic development and tourism activities. This four-person department is responsible for facilities direction of Mary Bethune Park, Mary Elizabeth Park, Gilly's Park, Celeste Park, the Farmers Market, the Depot Welcome Center, and the Harvester Performance Center.
Community Development facilitates Town citizen participation in the processes involved with maintaining quality neighborhoods and affordable living. Department staff works closely with citizens to guide them through planning and zoning processes which are vital to the health, safety, and welfare of the Town and its citizens. The Department also provides staff support to the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Economic Development Authority, Franklin County Veterans' Memorial Commission, and a variety of other committees as appropriate.
The Community Development Department also seeks to facilitate economic development in the community by encouraging the growth of small businesses, recruiting other commercial ventures and industries, marketing community assets, and working closely with the County of Franklin and other business-support organizations such as the Smith Mountain Lake Regional Chamber of Commerce to attract and retain commercial development.
Community Development staff members are eager to help you:
- Start a business
- Check your zoning
- Find an overhead map of your property and its utilities
- Get started with a site plan review
- Get started on adding a new room or other amenities to your home
- Order a brick for placement at the Veterans' Memorial Park
- Order a brick for placement at the First Responders Memorial
- Learn about the Arts and Culture District
- With any questions or concerns you may have about your community!
Please call us at 540-483-0907 or email any of our staff members.